- Locally Engaged Personnel
- Full time, short-term to June 2019 (with possibility of extension)
- Based in Dili with frequent travelling to project locations
The Australia Timor-Leste Partnership for Human Development (PHD) supports the Government of Timor-Leste’s Strategic Development Plan 2011-2030 and reflects Australia’s commitment to work in partnership with Timor-Leste to enhance human development over the next decade. PHD’s goal is to strengthen social capital in Timor-Leste through strengthening services, increasing community engagement and linking civil society to decision makers to improve access to services. PHD supports sectoral investments in health, education, sanitation and water and mainstream nutrition, gender equality, disability and social protection.
Abt Associates Australia is the implementation partner for PHD and is contracted until 2021 with a possible five-year extension.
The Senior Technical Engineer - WASH will bring in additional technical capacity to the WASH team to work and contribute both at the strategic and program intervention level. The key role will work closely with other PHD WASH engineers to work out a strategy to promote improved rural water supply and sanitation technologies in the Timor-Leste context; as well as oversee the technical aspects of the PHD supported water supply and sanitation interventions in various locations. Responsibilities include:
- Undertake field visits to ongoing water and sanitation project sites and provide technical oversights for improvement of service deliveries.
- Support PHD and its implementing partners’ WASH team to design, plan and deliver technical training.
- Support the Technical Lead in the implementation of the research component of the community-based water treatment project, data collection, analysis and in preparing a high-quality report.
- Provide technical support to PHD team, Municipal Water and Sanitation Services (SMASA), Administrative Post Facilitator (FPA) to plan and execute ongoing and proposed new water projects and phases.
- Establish collaboration with ADTL/LSDO and provide technical support for innovation or improvement of sanitation technologies for people with disabilities to Hygienic Initiative Project in Atabae, Bobonaro.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Civil Engineering or relevant Technical Degree with substantial experience of working in Water, Sanitation and Hygine (WASH) in Timor-Leste.
- Substantial experience of working with National and International NGOs.
- Strong knowledge of DNSA design standards for rural water supply.
- Knowledge and understanding about the WHO-UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme definitions for Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene and their applications on the ground.
- Experience of designing and supporting construction of rural water supply systems including slow sand filteration process.
- Understanding of mentoring and coaching approach to capacity building, with knowledge of the role and function of GMFs, FPAs and the DNSA PAK (Community Action Plan) process.
Further Information and How to Apply
Full details on the Terms of Reference for this position can be found from the Careers page of Abt Associates website at http://www.abtassociates.com.au/careers/job-search/
Applications can be lodged through PHD Human Resources email firstname.lastname@example.org - please insert the job title in the email subject heading. All applications are to include a current CV and cover letter.
Closing date: Wednesday 16 January 2019 (11pm Timor-Leste)
We welcome and thank all applications received, however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
About Abt Associates
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children. For more information about our company and what we do visit our website at www.abtassociates.com.au