- Based in Buka, Autonomous Region of Bougainville
- Excellent remuneration and benefits
From 1997 to 2005 Bougainville underwent a peace process which resulted in the Bougainville Peace Agreement and the establishment of the Autonomous Bougainville Government (ABG). The ABG is now involved in ongoing peace building and reconstruction and will hold a referendum on its political future status between mid-2015 and mid-2020.
Progress has been made by the ABG in the restoration of peace and the reconstruction of basic infrastructure and services. The Government of Australia and Government of New Zealand funded Bougainville Partnership includes 3 key Pillars of Support:
- Autonomy & Effective Governance
- Economic Development; amd
- Peace, Security & Community Cohesion
- The Adviser will work across the directorates of Budget, Finance, and Standards and Guidance within the Department of Treasury and Finance (DoTF) to provide capacity building support to strengthen the financial management framework of the DoTF and ABG departments. This will include supporting budget preparation, implementation, review and reporting processes to strengthen the integrity of budget management systems of the DoTF and the ABG.
- The Adviser will provide capacity building assistance to the Budget Division in further developing annual activity planning across ABG departments, supporting effective quarterly and annual budget review processes, and timely monitoring and reporting on budget management and outcomes.
- The Adviser will support the Short Term Adviser (STA) in working with the Finance and Standards and Guidance directorates to continuously improve the control framework of the DoTF, identify weaknesses and compliance issues to enable more accountable processes and systems to be implemented.
- The Adviser will support the STA in ensuring an effective and timely reporting framework is implemented to improve transparency and accountability of ABG finances.
- The Adviser will remain accountable for meeting all contractual obligations to the BP Director and Team Leader including professional and code of conduct requirements. The Bougainville Partnership Director and Team Leader will undertake the adviser’s bi-annual performance assessments in consultation with the Secretary – DoTF.
- The Adviser will ensure coordination and cohesion of the Bougainville Partnership assistance and support to the DoTF. The Adviser will liaise, coordinate with and communicate to the Director and Team leader on matters concerning coordination of development strategy in Bougainville, operating as a ‘community of practice’ to share ideas and experiences and to support the orderly management of the team in Bougainville.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- University Degree in Accounting, Public Financial management or related discipline with a Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA) or Equivalent;
- 10 - 15+ years’ experience in a senior financial management position, preferably in the GoPNG Public Sector:
- Knowledge in the application of GoPNG Fiscal management and Monitoring Tools and Systems at the national and decentralised levels;
- Knowledge and experience in the design and implementation of accountable and transparent financial management systems, and approaches to mitigate the risk of fraud and corruption in PNG
For Further Information and Application Details
Please apply by expressing your interest with a covering letter and an up to date resume highlighting how you meet the qualifications and experience required for the role.
Closing Date: Applications close on Sunday 26th May 2019 at midnight, local time.
This role has been reserved for PNG Citizens.
About Abt Associates
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.