Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research, evaluation and implementing programs in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. We work with our clients to implement bold, innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. Abt Associates is regularly ranked as one of the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 international development innovators. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors, contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Abt Associates is an organisation that has a personal commitment to its staff and as such we value the long-term relationships that we build with the people who work for us.
Investing in Women
Investing in Women (IW) is a multi-country Australian Government initiative in Southeast Asia that seeks to improve women’s economic participation as employees and as entrepreneurs and influence the enabling environment to promote Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE). It commenced in April 2016 with operations in the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam and Myanmar and is due to run through to June 2023. It is managed out of the Gender Equality Branch (GEB) of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) in Canberra. The Program is supporting the following outcomes:
- More businesses achieve improved gender equality in their workplaces
- Intentional impact investments in women’s small and medium enterprises (WSMEs) increase
- Positive shifts in gender norms related to workplace gender equality
For more information, see www.investinginwowen.asia
The Research Manager will be responsible for identifying, developing and managing research activities and partnerships, focusing on Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE) in South East Asia under the three IW Outcome Pathways: 1. Workplace Gender Equality (WGE); 2. Impact Investing in Women’s SMEs; and 3. Influencing Gender Norms. They will assist with the development of terms of reference, grant agreements, refereeing/quality assurance and possibly also play a role in conducting research.
The successful applicant will develop annual research plans and identify and manage partnerships to implement a range of research activities, primarily through local/regional institutions and individuals that have an applied ‘action learning’ focus. The Research Manager will work across the breadth of program activity to support the collation, development and dissemination of research on women in the economies of South East Asia (SEA) and build the business case/s for WGE within the SEA context. He or she will also liaise with Australian Embassies in target countries in the development and implementation of research plans.
Complementing IW MEL, they will assist IW teams and partners to make evidence-based decisions by understanding context, synthesising existing knowledge and conducting or commissioning primary research to fill knowledge gaps. This research will support IW’s advocacy agenda across all Outcome Pathways and position IW as a thought-leader.
The Research Manager will:
- In consultation with the three Outcome Pathway teams and MEL, map research priorities across the program and develop annual research plans
- Work collaboratively across the program with internal and external stakeholders and engage with networks to commission, develop and disseminate research and knowledge products on WEE, WGE and relevant gender norms in SEA
- Develop sound work processes for the commisioning and oversight of relevant research partnerships
- Develop a database of relevant researchers and contract a panel of experts to provide short-term inputs on the methodology and appraoches to ensure quality outcomes
- Identify and negotiate research partnerships, with a focus on local/regional institutions and individuals with an applied ‘action learning’ focus
- Manage and support the implementation of these research partnerships and the research plan, budget preparations and contract management
Further information regarding other key duties is included in the Information for Applicants in the ‘View Position Description’.
- Appropriate tertiary qualifications
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in managing research partnerships in a cross-cultural environment
- Expertise in gender, particularly areas relevant to Women’s Economic Empowerment, with knowledge of and experience in behaviour/gender norm change and gender research in South East Asia an advantage
- Experience in applied research with an ‘action learning’ focus
- Experience utilising qualitative and quantitative research methodologies is highly desirable
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills, including an ability to deal with people at all levels with credibility, and diplomacy
- Demonstrated strong skills in networking, negotiation and communication
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and an ability to disseminate research findings to varied audiences
- Well-developed networks with relevant research institutions and organisations, researchers and academics, particularly in Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam will be an advantage
Further Information & Application
Further information regarding this opportunity, including how to apply, can be found in the ‘View Position Description’ link at the top of this page.
Applications should be submitted online via the Careers page of Abt Associates’ website and MUST include a CV and covering letter addressing the key requirements listed above.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from experienced and capable women.
Applications close: 15 June 2019 - midnight (AEST)
We welcome and thank all applicants however; only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Abt Associates – Who We Are
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.
For more information about our company and what we do visit our website at www.abtassociates.com